Thursday, August 24, 2006

Crooklyn

Haven't made it to any gigs since coming to New York, so most of what I'm hearing is coming out of car windows, which is as good a place as any to find out what music really matters. Take a guess. No, not Fennesz, but reggaeton, which is not exactly the most engaging genre that mankind has ever formulated but at least it's not funky house.

Update: actually bollocks to car windows - on the way to the airport I saw a little girl and her brother, both about eight or nine years old, treat the whole subway carriage to a semi-improvised all-singing-all-dancing bravura performance of Chamillionaire's 'Ridin'. I was ready to be all English and irritated but I just couldn't do it. Sensational. You don't get that kind of thing on the Tube. (Obviously by 'the Tube' I mean the London Underground. If you want people dancing to 'Ridin' on YouTube, they are everywhere.) It was as if the city of New York was making sure I'd really miss it.

No comments: